5.6.10

Ponderings in a stable environment

Was having conflicting thoughts about returning back to the developed world. On the one hand, I was really glad to depart from a world of absolutely unpredictability. On the other hand, I realized that perhaps that is the thing that makes life so much more enjoyable.
 
Having been born and raised in a developed country and only heard stories of unpredictable and hostile living conditions. It was quite sad, yet sobering to experience life in a developing and politically unstable country. I have some very interesting footage of riot-like behaviour. I find it quite interesting how groups of people can have such an impact. Sociology is a very interesting field of study indeed.
 
Back to coming back to work in a developed country. Electricity doesn't ever go out. Water is all over the place and I can even drink out of the taps too! I always have whatever supply I need - and some more.
 
I do hope that I never take for granted the excess of supplies and resources that we have. But one day when things start running out, the people with nothing - that have learned how to make do with limited resources will suddenly have those critical skills to perform; because they understand where the bottom line lies. The way that we are producing trash and wasting unnecessarily, it can't be too far away.
 
Nostalgic to walk through the bowels of the very hospital that I trained at. Seems like a very sterile environment indeed. Swiping to get through, the technology that I take for granted is all around me. As well, security so that I can operate without worry. I finally get to my locker and my memory fails. My shoes are behind a locked door. Spoke too soon about security being a good thing.
 
So the struggle now is how to adjust. How to share the experiences I have had in a challenging and meaningful way. I can tend to be quite negative and must work on being positive and encouraging. Been learning a lot and trying to figure out where I am to spend the limited time I have.
 
But a couple of ideas as to what to focus on. Had been listening to a lot of lecture series on what it means to be rich. And seeing first hand what it means to be poor. I'm convinced that to have water, electricity and not have to worry about WHETHER food will be served for dinner. I mean if my biggest concern is WHAT I'm going to eat - then I'm probably really well off. The challenge is to get out of the rut of thinking that to be rich is to have just a little more. Need to ponder more.... Eyes want to close...

No comments: