10.7.07

09.07.07

Today began in the ER. I was doing night shift with another medical officer. There were a couple of patients who came in with falls and needed some stitches. It's really heartbreaking to see these kids hurt. One kid got 5 stitches to the head. He was so cute, but didn't cry at all. He clenched his fists and grunted, but didn't cry. It was nice to see a brave kid and also his father holding him in his arms during the suturing. His mother was also there. Family support here is really strong. It's a beautiful sight to see a father carrying his child. Perhaps the place isn't too beautiful to be, but it's a redeeming sight in this hospital.

We talked with Dr. Nepal til about 0300 then I reflected a bit til 0400 and slept til 0500 when Ernest and I decided to head home for some rest before surgery today. I arrived home at 0530 and the door was locked, so I slept on the roof for the next 1.5 hrs. This was the most relaxing rest I've ever had. The beautiful thing about this country is that every house hasa roof that people can hang out on.

Surgery was very interesting today and perhaps gives hope as a child with an imperforated anus with a anal urinary fistula was operated on. (Essentially the child does not have a fecal output port). Within 3 hours, the child was finished. There are some complications and time will tell, but it is nice to see hope for this child. Surgery is nice, but preventative medicine is much more beneficial - some of the cases we saw yesterday during OPD were seriously heartbreaking. The lack of education and hygiene here is a real killer.

Memorizing scripture is very key. Indeed scripture memory has been keeping my mind focused. Thanking God for His word!

ok it for now. Think I'll be going to the Tibetan boarder this Wednesday til likely Saturday. Please pray for continued sensitivity to the Spirit as I'm discerning what to do in response to all that I've seen. Please pray for wisdom and conviction.

No comments: