26.7.07

26.07.07 update from Canada

The return trip was definitely something.

I got on the plane next to an older Nepali woman. I wasn't sure what to call her as I'm only accustomed to women either around the same age or around my mother's age. So I defaulted to use 'didi' which means older sister. When asking how she was, she was the ONLY person who ever responded with a 'ramrosa' (very good). Most often, people say 'tik-cha' (OK) which is the most common thing to say to anything. Because I think it's culturally wrong to be angry or upset, people always say that they are fine. This is one thing that pissed me off SO much. I know realized why my mother was so indiginant when I used to start & conclude my journals with "Today was fine." It says nothing. Nevertheless, it was too bad our conversation was abruptly ended at my lack of Nepali and inability to converse with her.

Meal time came and I was suddenly put on the spot to translate fish and chicken. Chicken was no problem, but I was at a loss for fish. So I ordered the fish and showed her that and then asked 'kakra' (chicken) or this.. she choose this, not realizing it was fish which she didn't eat. No problems though, cause she gave it to her adopted 'babu' (little boy) for the trip ( i.e. me). Anyway, I quickly came to my senses and realized that she was Nepali and probably eats a Nepali diet. So I went thru all the things that a good Nepali should eat and sure enough, she was happy with carbs, but she didn't take any sugar. So I ended up writing on the placemat her food preferences so that she could keep it for the remainder of her journey to Los Angeles. She'll be staying there w/ family for 6 months. But seriously, if I hadn't been in Nepal, I would have found her and her eating habits to be quite strange. But coming from a place where you eat meat once a week, I can definitely understand why eating large amounts of meat in one shot simply don't sit well with them. I on the other hand joyfully devoured all the 'masu' (meat) she didn't want.

By the time I arrived in Qatar, I was ready to sleep the night in the airport. But the gentleman after the security check told me to line up somewhere else. After doing so, I soon realized that it was standard procedure for passengers with a layover longer than 8 hours to get a hotel room. No complaints there, just some disbelief. I don't think I've ever stayed in a hotel room alone - always with family or some other people, it's just a waste. Since I had to wait for the shuttle, Qatar Airways (QA) decided to give me a free dinner voucher at the airport. So I enjoyed my second dinner (one fo the most tender lamb curries i've ever eaten in my life with some guy dressed in a suit and tie serving me fanta in a ghetto cup at the airport cafe.).

I was SO excited to have meat, but also somewhat guilty of the fact that I was enjoying so much when those in Nepal where I just came from live in such grave conditions. So, I decided not to participate in the third dinner offering from QA at the hotel (it was a buffet). The student side of me had actually kicked in as I was saving myself to consume some gourmet breakfast the next morning. If that wasn't a big enough contrast, the room that they gave me was hands down the nicest designed room I've been in. It had 3 different methods of wiping yourself down after dropping your offering to the porcelain god. Doha, Qatar was extremely nice, but very heartbreaking as well. It was a sad reminder of the unequal distribution of wealth in the world. Ke garne? (what to do?)

Both are ways of surviving. The typical Nepali does it minimally and the developed world person does it in comfort. But what does it really mean to live? During my time there, the pastor at Ganeshwor church spoke about the same thing over and over again - it was the theme of the church for the year. "We not only survive, but we live". Indeed, how often are we consumed with survival? We are concerned about the foods that we eat, so we learn about nutrient. We are concerned about ourselves and operating efficiently according to our skills and talents, so we take psychological tests, IQ tests, DNA sample tests. We are concerned about appeasing God, so we go to church, give tithes, etc. But to what extent shall we concern ourselves with these things. Physical, mental and spiritual things can keep us from the heavenly Father - who is only interested in our hearts before Him. (Psalm 51:16-17). I nevertheless, indulged in a long warm shower at high pressures to clean myself thoroughly. The way Nepali's live is hard and tough, it's very ruggid and will take a while before things change. In a place such as this with a whole lot of corruption it's really difficult even for those interested and capable in doing good to actually do anything.

But fear not, my friends, God will continue to convict the hearts of people. May we His children seek first His kingdom and His righteousness. Let Him be made known that we might have strength to endure tomorrow. To Him be the glory as it was in the beginning, is now and will be forever Amen.

No comments: