13.7.07

13.07.07

Just returned from trip to the Tibetian boarder. The bus ride which took over 8hrs each way was an eventful experience Without fail.

I'll only highlight important details.

Had the weirdest feeling as I approached the Tibet(China) and Nepal boarder. I was all excited about being able to cross midway the Friendship Bridge and enter into my 'motherland'. However, this was not the case as Lonely Planet failed me this time. I'll get Ernest to send a picture of HSS/MD at their birthplace...

At the boarder there we decided to trek up to Liping Monastary. On the way up, we kept on seeing these porter people coming through a narrow trail, about 30 seconds apart. When we finally reached the monastary, we were greeted by non other than Tenzin. Well this guy had a different last name, but he shared a little about the Buddist culture and also pointed us to another monastary in the mountains that we could visit. He also explained to us that the path that the porter were taking was a 2hr hike into Tibet. There were a LOT of goods coming in from china. Anyway, that's quite crazy that porters would bring goods in on foot. I was really tempted to take the trip into Tibet. The prospect of being in China never appealed to me, but perhaps I remained content with being able to empasize with Moses' feelings outside the promised land. Except for me, I'm probably more like a lost prodigal son returning to what I believed is my motherland. (I'm not sure where I stand on this Tibet/China issue, I'm not informed enough)

The next day We trekked toward the Bakang monastary that took us up the moutain beyond the clouds to where the air was cool and fresh. We took a wrong turn but ended up at a Sherpa village where we were warmly greated by locals who shared a snack of sour milk tea and potatoes with us. photo attached. People are extremely hospitable. Night and day difference from the city. Water is also in abundance, but EXTREMELY cold. had the coldest shower of my life.

Anyways, back today. Think I may go to Lumbini next week depending on how work goes with this project that I've been working with CEN on and the potential hospital fund.

As time winds down, I realize that my time here is limited and I'm started to really miss the people in Canada. Peace of Christ with you all!

No comments: