8.6.07

08.06.07

so I had my third bout of diarrhea yesterday after eating some vegetable momo's outside of the main tourist area. It's amazing how you can see what 'seems' to be a run down area, just get worse as you move out from that area. As you move toward the Vishnumati River from Thamel, it just gets worse and worse - from the condition of the people to the dogs on the street, 100m makes a difference.

We also visited a doctor friend who works at Kanti at his other job. He was the on duty ER doc that night. It was quite calm until a gang fight victim came in. The details I will leave out, but as Ernest would say, "I'm not sure whether to cry or laugh - this is seriously a tragic comedy."

Psalms have been continually an encouragement in the desolate state of this place. My lungs continue to feel like garbage as I breathe the narcoleptic concoction vehicular exhuast and street dust.

- everyone seems to be getting sick at the hospital which is not surprising with outstanding infection control measures. For you RTs, pseudomona comes with every bubbler...
- I also feel exceptionally clean having showered! for 2 days in a row. Been crashing at Ernest's place, but I think my cold has gotten a bit better, so I'll be back at my host family's place. I seriously hope they don't feel like they are doing an inadequate job because they have been by far the MOST hospitable people I've ever met.
- of the people that have come to know the Lord that I've met here, it's a tough switch. Hinduism is rooted deeply in Nepali culture. And to make that change is breeding ground for friction in the family. Although no physical persecution takes place, it is difficult for those individuals and families that have come to know Christ as Lord.
- oh notes from contemplation times during church service: like most asian community events, it never starts promptly. It is very energetic, and the vast majority of people females. 65-75%. Men are definitely dominant in this place and they do most of the work. Women are usually housewives taking care of the home. e.g. my house mother doesn't get out much, so when Saturday rolls around, it's a real treat to go to church. There are other short trips she takes during the week, but for the most part, the home is run by the women.

Thanks all for your comments on blog. As much as I don't like reading them myself, I thank you for the encouraging words and notes of what people back at home are doing.

ok it for now. hope you'll all well!

No comments: