29.3.10

update

So it's been exactly 3wks since my departure and so far things at the hospital remain somewhat the same. Progress seems unfortunately slow in this country, but also can be quick at times.
 
Update on IFCH hospital
- donations made
- still waiting on an infusion pump and then the Dental room will be ready for usage. The pulse oximeter came in handy.
- still waiting on an air compressor. Despite multiple offers, vendors have still not shown up with anything physical. So we wait... soemthing I am finding it harder and harder to do..
 
Other:
- I was given the opportunity to talk at the Nepal Paediatric Society conference this year. My aunt was also able to attend this interesting conference that illuminated many of the challenges/frustrations that physicians faced in this country. I particularly was saddened by some of the comments made during an engaging panel discussion on whether or not neonates should be resuscitated. Eg. physicians try to their best to save a newborn and finally the child is stabilized and the parents need to discharge in order to get home. Their child is stable but still in critical condition. Their rationale for leaving - a child they can always have another; but their cow, if they loose it, it's over for them and the rest of their family.... It was fitting that the conference theme was "social determinants of neonatal health". Medicine is a very different ballgame here. I was able to share a bit about BABU's initiative to launch an infant flow CPAP program. It was well received, but now to follow through
- My aunt is here with me and we'll be travelling to the United Mission Hospital tomorrow for an intense teaching 7-8day teaching schedule. It'll be fun though cause I actually know what I'll be doing vs. trying to figure out how to be best utilized. The way mission hospitals are run here are so effecient. It's quite encouraging in a country of shear chaos.
- I've had the opportunity to meet with a lot of ex-pats in the area and sharing time/thoughts with them. It's nice to have a fall back community to speak to that I know understands me.
- Just dropped off 2 of my Canadian friends who came and successfully volunteered in the hospital and also at ENPHO (www.enpho.org)
- Will have a lot of contact to follow up with on return from Tansen. There are a lot of people interested in seeing how an RT can be useful. I'll be investigating this cause apparently my chances of getting into the country and contributing clinically are slim. The best way would probably be to come as an educator which seems to be in high demand.
- going through the Mark Series with the Mens group has been great.
- found a good ex-pat church to attend on sunday's at KICC school in Patan.
- load shedding continues - waking up at strange hours of the night to use internet
- petrol shortages seem to be more often now seeing longer lines.
- water shortages are as per normal. We are really fortunate to now have a well. Just finished last week. Now we have water, but the quality unsure. So far nothing funky from dish washing and my 1 shower that I've had in 6days. We'll try tooth brushing with the water soon. Someone came over today to visually sample the water... No one seemed quite concerned. Was tempted to get the ENPHO guys to run their full gamit of tests on the water, but havent' had a chance to get a sample out to them.
 
I pray that things are well with ppl back in Canada. Miss it a lot these days especially since I'm trying to fight an upper respiratory tract infection from all the pollution I've been inhaling. But I'll be out of the valley for a good week, so looking forward to that awesome contrast.
 
Well, gotta get packing, up tomorrow by 0400.
 
peace,
e

No comments: