22.5.07

07.05.18

Woke up at 0400 to walk to our meeting place. Got stopped by the police on the way. There's a curfew here that has to be observed. So they become suspicious when 2 boys leave home at 0415 to go to somewhere where the name is unknown. It's a little village in a big country. Anyway, I explained the whole water purification system I had brought and it sufficiently pleased him. He also liked my name or maybe just the fact that I was from Canada. Miss you people at back in temporary (in view of eternity) home.

A bus ride and micro ride (minivan crammed with many people) leave us in a town where controlled arms are strictly prohibited. It's a small village where the road ends that leads to a different raodway that's only open during not monsoon season. We decide to walk since we'll be needing to walk to Babokazi's place. He lives in the middle of what they call a hill - mind you they are Himalayan natives. Seven hours later, we're greated with more curd. I don't really know how they consume this sour vicous liquid. It's supposed to be sweet, but I'm not feeling it. Anyway, there's a meal of fried bread which is fantastic and something my stomach handles quite well. I learn more about farming by observation and learn that hens and pigs eat anything and everything. It's nice having them around. The dog and mountain goats run stray around the home as well. there's buffalo that's tied up.

I'm extremely encouraged by the father here and the family he has established. He's proud of his 15 month boy and has 2 lovely girls (10 and 12 years) that he's also pleased with. They are well trained by their mother whom he loves dearly. I think he went to go pick flowers for her after dinner - I still don't believe in flowers (Perhaps I need to be educated on the meaning of them) Anyways, I will try to keep this short, but I'm extremely impressed with this family. The father is definitely the head - perhaps it comes with the culture. He has power and authority. He speaks and things get done, if not there is sharp discipline right away. He has force, but isn't afraid to use it. He's used his strength as the more powerful one to ensure a safe and loving household. These are seen in the way he farms and deals with the people in his family and guests. He's one of the 2 men in charge of the church a 1.5h walk away, for non-locals it will take 2-2.5h (times quoted for a good day)

After the meal, we end up gathering together for a time of music worship and edification from the deacon travelling with us. He preaches a message - which I thought was long, but perhaps I didn't understand and was tired. @ 2230, we wash our hands again for a second dinner. I really can't eat at this point cause I'm somewhat tired and was getting ready to sleep. Oh I'm also sunbruned. Anyway, it's a LOT of CHO. I eat a bit, but I'm not sure if they're making fun of me cause I don't seem to eat. (I didn't eat much at lunch for fear of diarrhea showing it's ugly face again during a hike in the rain.)

OH YES! The crux of the day. I had some time to reflect before the first meal about what it means to be poor in spirit. I've concluded that one need not be physically poor to be poor in spirit. However, with wealth and self-dependance as a starting point or as a goal, it becomes more difficult. North Americans would label Babukazi's family as poor. They live in a house without proper windows or ventilation. Their child does not use diapers. In fact, he didn't even have pants when I first met Babu (which means little boy). He was playing among the animals and as the animals poo as required, he would poo as required. But in actually, these people know what they are doing. They know how to love and care for their kids and their neighbours. These people need to walk a good 50 metres down to a watersource and back uphill to their home with buckets full. They also need to hike 1hr to the nearest roadway - during monsoon, I'm not sure what they do since this roadway will be flooded. They wake sometimes beofre 0600 (cause that's when I awoke) to carry out the daily tasks of raising animals. This will required walking 20minutes down to the valley to gather food for the goats/buffalo. You get the picture, these people have to work hard to survive. But this does not make them poor in spirit. Poor in spirit is the way that they choose to see the life that God has given them. They realize that they need God - as self-suffient as they seem to be. They could very well suvive on their own in their sustainable environment. There is no need for hydro, electricity or additional foods which they eat. They are poor in spirit because they are broken before God and have made it a point to ensure that they are aware of that at each moment of life that He grants.

Banepa
Dulikhel
Nepal-Achulu (Babukazi's Uncle's place)
Jhangal theli (church)

No comments: