28.5.07

25.05.07

So I prayed for more quality quiet time this morning. I tried to get some quiet time at the home by taking a half day off. It was somewhat unproductive as I began reading ‘Can man live without God?’. Kind of a silly question you if you ask me, to be reading this in a very god conscious country. But perhaps the question is valid as it is talking about God not just a god or des gods. Thinking of giving this to my new bookstore pal I made the other day.

Afternoon was spent on the streets trying to get people who have been on the streets of Chabhill for more than 10 years. The idea is to be able to say that Kathmandu air quality is bad and shown in spirometry. So the sample group are non-smoking males 35-45 that have been shop/street vendors for at least 10 years. We took a break and my host went to a Christian bookstore where I met a fellow Baptist brother named Timothy. I have to go back and visit him cause our visit was interrupted. The testing expedition was soon stopped when a tire-demonstration by the teachers commenced. I was hoping to stay, but my host urged me to move on in the unlikely chance that I’d be hit with tear gas from the army of police waiting around for the signal.

Oh yeah, Chabhill is one of two major entrance/exit points into the Kathmandu valley region. The pollution there has been noticeably high for a long time.

So much for quiet time. I ended up dropping 425Rs to get a pair of replacement pants as my other pants have seemed to outlived their life. While I don’t think anyone in the population would care, I don’t think mooning everyone I walk by is very nice.

Finally got my quiet time in the church while my host practiced. Wrote a short psalm which is what I’ve been considering since struggling with this morning’s psalm reading.

Lord God of all creation
All creation is Yours.
May Your presence in all things
Be acknowledged by Your creation
Your body sings praise to You
In every tongue.
Let praise be raised before you
In every tongue,
In every land
May Your whole body
Shout praise to You in unison

Short and general, but perhaps words have much deeper meaning with experiences that push your experiential appreciation of the definition of your vocabulary.

Also took a shower again today. I’ve knocked water usage to 3L, but the rinse is weak. A bit of soap won’t hurt though. I don’t think people will notice. Once I go out on the street, I’ll be once again covered in particulate matter – there’s just so much dust floating around.

And ants, you can pray that ants stay out of my bed. And also… from earlier today:

Been thinking, it’s almost been 2 weeks in Nepal. While physically here, there are still moments when my heart aches to be at home. There have been frustrations one after another with the latest being a conflicting email from my contact at Kanti Children’s Hospital. But I know like everything else here, it’ll work itself out. Sometimes it’s just so frustration when you’re trying to help but you get slammed for it. I realize that this is what the people at ENPHO face and perhaps this has made them even more bold which is what I love so much about the people there. They have hope and fire to persevere because they are sure of what they hold to. May I also have faith and persevere in the race that has been marked out for me. I love and miss all you family in Canada. Really excited to know that mon companero - the man that persuaded me to broaden my horizons - comes next week! Can’t wait to see you Ernesto!

For confidence for both our loved ones, the people in Nepal are extremely friendly – perhaps too much at times. Their kindness can be somewhat invasive on need for personal space and solitude.

More messed up stuff would be construction workers. Hard hats and steel toed boots? I think not, sandals and a backwards cap if you’re lucky. Petrol lines: taxis line up overnight block traffic.

No comments: