12.5.07

I'm in...

I've landed and evrything worked out well! Flights were flights,
exciting as per usual. As I landed in Kathmandu, I was greated by a
most informal immigration process. The wait was long and they still
use paper for everything. Monies collected from visas were stashed in
a giant pile of random bills, security personnel were absent and money
hungry porters/taxi drivers were eager to be of service to you.
They'll always ask you for more than you give them. Gave in once,
don't give in again. Very in your face culture - very friendly ppl
tho.

very different:
- ruckus on roads,
- ran over dog today. (he lived, dont' worry, there's tons of stray
dogs here) in fact, they're barking like mad outside.
- it is indeed very dusty and moderately warm.
- i'll also be sleeping on a bed once again.

staying realy close to Kanti Childrens' Hospital (15 min walk), but
far from New Baneshwor.

Tomorrow the Program Coordinator at the Primary Health Care and
Resource Centre (PHCRC) will pick me up with the supplies and I'll be
able to report more on the health care facility then.

Indeed the Lord has been watching over these steps. Luggage went
through at all sites w/o any trouble - and it's all here too. Continue
praising Him.

speaking today with people in this house - very friendly and had my
first meal of dahl bhat - traditional Nepali food (and Momo - buffalo
meat). no diarrhea yet...

It's exciting and also weird in a country where you dont' understand a
lot of the conversation around you - but it's no problem communicating
w/ ppl.
on dialup. more later

in the race,
e
heb12

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi Eric
i read your weblog and i found it very interesting
wish you a very nice and safe trip
good luck
zohreh ( Ernest's Mom)

Anonymous said...

Did you meet up with Jason & Christina?

I will forward the contact number to your parents on 13May2007.

God's Blessings
Patrick Lee

Anonymous said...

You’re in…

Glad you arrived in the city of Kathmandu,
Just keep trusting God in all He hath you do.
Advise about a culture that’s in your face,
Say hello I’m Eric and I’m in the race.

How was your first meal of that dahl bhat?
At least it wasn’t that cuisine of da rat.
Hey is the rumor true that Buffalo meat,
Tastes pretty good served as a jerky treat?

So here’s praying you have a productive week,
In all your actions may God’s leading you seek.
Since I too am on that connection of dial-up,
Got to go as call waiting there’s a pile-up.

I’m out…
DVD

Anonymous said...

Wow - Eric, I was sorting through my inbox and found your prayer letter, and I'm embarrassed to find out that you've already arrived in Nepal!

Prayers and blessings - keep us posted.

Vivian

JCL said...

Glad you got there safely, with all your stuff. Indeed, beds are a nice thing =) Hope to see you on your way back.

Anonymous said...

Hi Eric,

Sorry didn't have the chance to meet up with you at the Toronto Airport as I was working in another area that morning. I believe you should not have any problem checking in those luggages as I did not see the trace of "charges" in the file. Spoke with Uncle Lee Sang (from BCBC)on Sunday and he told me about the Grace Church situation. Hope things goes well with you so far. Yeap, trust in our Lord always and He'll clear our way with all kinds of miracles!

In Christ
auntie Katherine